S.A.F.E Club

S.A.F.E+Club

Karissa Hayes, writer

Independence high school strives for the campus to be the best in many aspects, including community. The Student Alliance for Equality Club, commonly referred to as S.A.F.E Club, is a national organization that helps increase the acceptance of students from every background. This club not only helps students make friends, but also provides a safe environment where they can express who they truly are.

This club allows students to come together in a place where they can openly be themselves and create friendships; while also learning more about how to promote racial, gender, and LGBTQ+, and economic justice. Within the club, students participate in bonding activities, discussions, Ally Week, Day of Silence, and hosts guest speakers.

Many students described the club as a positive atmosphere. Jamie Lauriano, club president,  encourages students to join so they can “bring together marginalized groups”. In addition, a returning member, Pike Mathis, states the best thing about this club is “the ability to openly express your fears and insecurities in front of people, anyone can join and learn about helping people of different minorities”.

Independence high school was established in 1975, and the energy revolving around the LGBTQ+ community and other minority groups has evolved into what it is in 2021. The S.A.F.E club strives to continue the growth that has made IHS a welcoming environment. Co-Sponsors Ms.Mack, Mr.Foster and Mrs.Shepard have been running the club together for two years. Mrs.Shepard believes that the club helps to “keep a loving eye on students who are minorities in different ways”. This club does not only inform students, but teachers as well. 

Students also impact the communities through other programs connected to S.A.F.E, as Jamie Lauriano participated in the SHINE program. Eligible students are invited to GLSEN through the Shine organization to prompt LGBTQ+ cultural inclusion and awareness in K-12 schools. Mr.Foster explains it to educate educators, and that it “works to ensure that LGBTQ students are able to learn and grow in a school environment free from bullying and harassment”. Students can join this club and meet every Monday at 2:45p.m. in room B13.